So, a morning routine, why? Research any human being that has ever been successful and you will notice that there is a common theme - most had a morning routine! The reason is, the morning hours are usually the quietest times of the day where we are able to relax, center ourselves, and prepare for the days events. It is during these hours where we set the tone for the rest of the day. Our energy during the morning hours will almost always reflect our energy throughout the day, and when we can consistently reach optimum energy levels in the morning, we will consistently have optimum energy levels throughout the day! Also, it is important to understand the mind and how it works. For many of us, our minds can be filled with an abundance of limiting thoughts and feelings, which typically lead to an abundance of worries and stress. In order to eliminate this experience, we must create clear goals and intentions for the day so that our mind knows exactly what issues are present and HOW they will be dealt with. If you are confident with your plan, there is no reason to worry.
Confidence = Clarity, Clarity = Productivity, Productivity = Success!
My intention for this post is to give you all practical steps to creating your own morning routine. For my own routine, I find it essential to acknowledge all aspects of my life: the body, mind, and spirit. In order to do this, I use a combination of different tools/strategies that I have learned and have found beneficial. Below, is my daily morning routine:
- Drink 750mL of water (a water bottle): After sleeping 6-8 hours, our body is typically very dehydrated in the morning. Water is essential for all bodily functions and without it, or bodies will not be able to work at its highest potential. The morning is a time where water is most important and every cell in our body craves this nourishment. This is the first thing I do in the morning because it stimulates my body, wakes me up, and boosts my energy.
- Meditate for 15 minutes: Anyone who has every meditated consistently during a stressful week will be very pleased with increase in energy and reduction in stress that they will experience. Meditation is an extremely valuable tool that will establish balance in your life - even when it seems that everything else is out of balance! There are many ways to meditate and everyone has different preferences. I give myself four options every morning: 1) Guided Meditation: just play the CD and follow along; 2) Nothingness: sit and enjoy the quietness, quieting the mind-chatter; 3) Contemplation: ask yourself a question (about an issue, situation, or person in your life) and pay attention to the thoughts and feelings that arise; 4) Spread Love: give love and appreciation to all parts of the body from the head to the toes.
- Energy Exercises: I've found these very useful and highly recommend doing Donna Eden's 5 minute energy routine...watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gffKhttrRw4&feature=player_embedded#!
- Visualizations: Take 5 minutes to connect with your long term goals and notice how it would FEEL to have completed these goals and live this as your truth.
- Declarative Statements: These are affirmative statements that help to align you to that which you desire! Find one or create one (or a couple) that feels right to you and boldly state it out loud 10 or more times each morning.
- Review Planner: Before you go to bed each night, it is a good idea to write out your plans and goals for the next day. That way, you can review these plans and goals in the morning and your mind will be aligned and equipped be optimally productive!
- Morning Guide: The final part to my morning routine is to fill out a document that I've created that I call the "Morning Guide." This document reconnects me to my goals, what I'm grateful for and why, what I'm concerned about and how to address these concerns, what I will eat (morning, lunch, dinner), how I will exercise, and how I will make a difference. I find this very useful, especially because it is something that you can carry with you throughout the day and use to stay on track and focused. I've attached the actual document below!
I'd love to hear your comments about my routine, or if you already have one, I'd also love any suggestions that you have to maximize the morning hours. Leave a comment in the forum section below under the "Success starts with a Morning Routine" post to share your thoughts!
~Evolve with Love~